Episode 11 – Interview with Tee Morris and Will McDermott – Part 1
The Maryland Regional Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention
Balticon 39: May 27 – 30, 2005
- Very different backgrounds as authors.
- – Tee came in blind
- – Will came in through the gaming industry
- Selling Out vs. Putting Food on the Table debate
- Tee talks about podcasting Morevi
- Will – Most authors don’t get a choice to sell out
- We define “selling out”
- My tech book on Cisco routers.
- Adobe Premire stuff. Book written by Tee. Paul’s basis for software piracy.
- Will’s novels in the “Magic the Gathering” series. He talks about how much he earned as a writer in the last 3 years.
- You can make money as an author, but you can’t make a living.
- The differences between independent publishers vs. large established publishers like Wizards of the Coast.
- Tee’s Book, Podcasting for Dummies written with Evo Terra
- Paying for podcasting vs. advertising revenue
- Paul’s hatred of invasive marketing
- Real passion works better than mass marketing
- TWiT is asking for $20 per year from their listeners.
- Tee is asking for $5 per person donations on his website. Paul thinks Tee needs to make it closed ended.
- Tee had 10,000 downloads of Morevi for May 2005.
- We further define “selling out”
- Cliffhanger ending!
This week’s music track is “In The Air”. Get Bottomland music on iTunes Music Store!