The Maryland Regional Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention
Balticon 39: May 27 – 30, 2005
The “Pepto” reference.
Cultural references in books are not advertising. But if you’re using them anyway, why not get paid.
Rob Sawyer does it in his books.
Product placement in movies. If done right, it doesn’t bug the user.
Films good with product placement:
- Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- Total Recall
- Back to the Future 2
- Wayne’s World
- Enemy Mine
I am so gonna get sued for this one.
J.K. Rowling “sold out” to coke, but she did it in such a classy way.
Kids know what good is. Who would have thought 8 year old kids would pick up a 700 page Harry Potter book.
Some things don’t have staying power with kids and adults. But Harry Potter is timeless and ageless. It will be ranked up next to The Chronicles of Narnia.
– Lost in Space
– Hardy Boys
Just like classic cartoons, Harry Potter has appeal to kids and adults.
- The Incredibles should have won an acadamy award for best picture. But they ripped off James Bond like nobody’s business.
- Busting on George Lucas
- The writing sucked. The acting sucked.
- Good writing will always stand the test of time.
- Writers are the bottom of the food chain in the movie & TV industry.
- How ST:TNG writers went to ST:DS9 and made it great. The same happened with Roseanne, who fired her writers every 2 years.
- You can read Will’s books even if you don’t play Magic: The Gathering.
- Books indy you should read.
Other new classics:
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Anything from Pixar
- Peter Prelowitz’s “Horizons”
- Bill Desmint “Singularity”
- Tony Regario “Team of Darkness” – Vampires in the Navy SEALS
- Wen Spencer “Tinker”
- Anything by Rob Sawyer: “Terminal Experiment” is his favorite. “Mind Scan” is his latest.
- David Brin’s “Kiln People”
- Wen Spencer
- Walter Hunt “The Dark Wing”, “The Dark Path”
- Terry Prachet – The Diskworld Series, “Night Watch” & “Going Postal”
This week’s music track is “Sunlight Under Water”. Get Bottomland music on iTunes Music Store!