The Maryland Regional Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention
Balticon 39: May 27 – 30, 2005
- Cheif Technology Officer of a High Tech startup doing Govt contracts
- Shortest retirement ever
- I owed Paul a call, and got more embarrased as time went on. So I never called.
- The nature of consulting as a profession.
- Paul worked on the NASA SETI program before it was cancelled.
- SETI is the science that refused to die.
- Richard Factor started a grass roots SETI group, The SETI League in 1994.
- Some of the other NASA SETI folks formed their own group, The SETI Institute.
- The SETI Institute is founded to do targeted SETI searches.
- Richard Factor offered Paul the opportunity head up the SETI League.
- Paul took a sabatical from his teaching job to work on the SETA League.
- He designed what he likes to call, “The Standard Backyard Radio Telescope”.
- The first Project Argus radio telescope.
- Use a smaller telescope and cover the whole sky.
- 5000 receivers world wide can cover the whole sky for very little cost.
- 130 receivers online as of May 2005.
- Just about anyone can help the SETI League.
- SETI@Home distributed computing experiment.
- Minimum entry level requirements to build your own SETI League radio telescope
- Remote operation of SETI telescope for those who can’t make their own.
This week’s music by Bottomland. The track is called Breakwater.